Tuesday, November 28, 2006

When The Spurs Go Marching In - My Almost Perfect Sunday!

Have not had such a perfect day than last Sunday. Era un giorno quasi perfetto!

26th of November 2006, a date to remember. The journey started around 12.25pm, me and my bro-in-law, nearly missed the 12.31pm train had it arrived on time. It took us an hour and a half and changed 3 trains just to reach our destination. Since the first station, I've noticed several Tottenham Hotspur supporters joining our ride already. And, it was a totally different situation when we reached at the White Hart Lane as thousands of supporters were swarming the nearby area! What a view, what a scenario! Never have I been surrounded with so many Spurs supporters. There were 3 shops, 1 megastore and countless stalls selling Spurs merchandise around the White Hart Lane Stadium and all of them were packed with people. I was informed earlier that THFC will be selling it's 3rd kit/brown kit a day earlier, and I was very much hoping that it would be available on the day we were there. Sadly, the brown kit was sold out in one day! And believe or not, I had to line-up just to GET INSIDE the Spurs Megastore, and let's not even talk about the payment part.5 minutes before the match started, we were still outside the stadium, buying hot chocolates. The weather was getting colder, around 8 degrees, thus the need to heat up our bodies. After that, we were busy looking for the east stand entrance, the location of our seating area. The stadium stewards were very helpful and made everything easy for us. As we were walking inside the stadium, the suspense was getting unbearable. My heart was pumping faster and faster as I ran up the stairs. And when I saw the White Hart Lane ground for the very first time, the feeling was breathless. I can't really put it in words how great my feeling was, at that time. One has to experience it oneself to understand it. Obviously, it was totally different than watching via TV! Never had I imagined I will be at the White Hart Lane stadium, one day, and get to watch Spurs playing! And at the same time get to see their famous players like Keane, Defoe, Berbatov, Lennon, Dawson playing! Woweeeee!25 minutes into the game, Spurs weren't really hungry and paid the price. Wigan was leading, 0-1. The crowd became restless. But, almost at the end of the first half, Defoe did his magic and once the ball hit the net, the whole stadium erupted! The feeling was superb! Everybody was jumping with joy. The best part was, as we were still celebrating, the second goal came 90 seconds later with a fine goal by Berbatov. A very good ending for the first half, indeed. This was went I did most of my photo opps. Did call Abang Najib, all the way in Malaysia, just to check whether he was watching the game, as well. As for the second half, Spurs werre playing more defensively with King and Dawson in cruise control. Ironically, it ended almost the same as the first half, Spurs scored another goal, at the last minute. This time it was Lennon who did the damage. 3-1 was the final score. Almost a perfect game, I would say. I just couldn't believe as I got to watch 3 Spurs goals right in front of my eyes. Everybody was happy and started singing their hearts out. I wish I could join them if only knew the lyrics. Plus, their accent was just too pekat, so it was hard to understand, actually. I wish Abang Najib and Leonard were with me at that time, too.

While we were walking out of the stadium, we bumped into the White Hart Lane's Executive Box. Guess what? It's the place where the players would come out from the stadium. Another lifetime opportunity! I quickly ran to a nearby convenient store and bought a marker. Whizzed back the box and squeezed my way through the crowd and stood at the front line and waited for the stars to come out. Half an hour passed by, felt like the temperature was getting lower by the minute, but it was worth it. Edgar Davids was the first to come out, he looked quite masam. Guess he was unhappy coz he wasn't playing. Ledley King was second, he looked tired but was still nice to everybody. Third was Michael Dawson. A very warm and very friendly guy. He was very happy to accomodate with everyone's request. Lastly, it was Pascal Chimbonda, he was limping a bit, maybe because of the game but still nice and friendly.

"Good game you had just now, bro." Those were the words I uttered to him.

That was the last person that I could wait as it was getting late and I couldn't make my bro-in-law wait any longer. So, we strolled back to the nearest train station and headed our way home.

Last Sunday, I knew it was going to be great, even before it happened. I knew the experience would be a lifetime. I expected such great day. However, turned out, it was better than I expected. I got more than I bargained for, much, much more. I was hoping that I could watch Spurs score a goal and win. In the end, I got to see 3 goals and Spurs winning the game. Another pleasant surprise was the opportunity to meet some of the Spurs players! It never occured to me it would happen but it did. I was so blessed that day, as it was almost a perfect day, for me.

God willing, I will be back, one day.

No comments: