Wednesday, November 01, 2006

From Boston to Kuala Kedah

Had a pleasant surprise yesterday. Doug, my dad's old family friend, came down to Malaysia and visited us. My late dad first met him in 1968. He was with the Peace Corp. then. They were good buddies. He left Malaysia somewhere in 1971. But, they still kept in touch with each other via mails and telephone calls. He and Andrea, his wife, came down last weekend for a wedding, held in Langkawi Island. He also paid a visit to my dad's grave in Alor Setar. He respects my dad so much, that he actually tried fasting this year, in honour of my dad. A true friend he is.

Back in the early 90s, I was in the States, studying. Being a 20 year old guy, who was never been away from family, and suddenly found himself thousand of miles away from home, stranded in St.Louis, Missouri (more like misery!) in bloody cold end of December of 93, wasn't a good start to my staying there! Had no one. Felt really alone. Homesick to the max! Most of my seniors over there weren't much of a help either. Really hated those f#@%ers! After my first few days there, had a conversation with my dad via the phone. Shared with him my thoughts and tribulations. So he told me to call a friend of his. An American, by the name of Douglas Rae. That wasn't my first time hearing the name, but somehow or rather, it was pleasant to hear it again. Got his number, but initially I was a little reluctant to call him. Had my doubts, I mean, I've never spoken to him, let alone sharing my feelings.

Somehow, I did, eventually, at 3am! To my surprise, he was extremely pleasant. A very nice friend, indeed. He was very warm and made me feel relax. I felt, as if, I've known him long before! He shared with me his story when he was about my age. Turned out, we actually had the same experience! Well, almost the same. He was around my age when he was posted to Kuala Kedah back in the late 60s. Imagine then! The culture shock he had to endure during that time. No clean water, no electricity, no phone lines. His house was almost a shack. He had to cycle 20km just to get to Alor Setar town! And only a handful could converse in english! I can't imagine how he survived the period. Luckily, I guess, he met my father then.

He made me appreciate what I had at that time. He made me stronger inside. I hope tp repay his kindness, one day. I, eventually, dropped by Boston and paid him a visit, a year later. And that was another great experience all-together!

No comments: