Tuesday, November 07, 2006

A Great Man

Yesterday was my dad's birthday. He would have been 60 years old, today, if he was still alive. He passed away 3 years ago, of heart attack.

If I have to summarize my dad in 2 words, it would be STRICT yet LOVING. That was my father's character. He was a man with principles. As long as I can remember him, I have never seen him miss a prayer. A pious man he was and yet open. A very hardworking and an honest person, as well. He was a government employee throughout his career. From an English teacher to the Secretary General of Kedah Sports Council, a span of more than 30 years. He was also a quiet man and liked to be seen as serious with others. And yet, there was a part in him that made him a jovial person but mostly, just, within our family circle. I can still remember back when me and my sister were still small, he would loved to wrestle with me on the bed and my sister would come and rescue me from him! Sometimes my mom would join the tussle, as well! Those were my good old times with my father. Another way of him showing his love is via gifts as he seldom give with his words. Maybe it was his upbringing.

He was also a loving husband. He was very close with my mother. They were inseparable. He loved my mom so much, that anyone could tell. They would be doing things and going places together. He even presented my mom a beautiful poem, describing how much he loved her, a few months before he left. He cared for my mom, even, up till when he was hospitalised on that fateful day. Once, my mom told me,

"I am very proud of having bapak as my husband. He took care of me, very well. And during we were together, I never regretted, even a second, as I had given my best to him."

I envy what he and my mom had during their marriage. I wish, one day, I will experience it. Great man he was, and if only I am half of him. My dad, my idol.

"Happy Birthday, bapak!"

Al-fatihah.

No comments: